Tuesday, September 14, 2010

5 weeks in

So please excuse the unimaginative title. I am not feeling especially creative right now. I guess first of all, the obligatory gestational update. The little spud is now 5 weeks old, and according the the deluge of daily literature, development is proceeding quite rapidly. The quote from www.thecradle.com: "By now, the division between the cerebral hemispheres (two halves of your baby’s brain) is well marked. The upper and lower jaws are present. Your baby weighs about .00004 ounce (.001 g). That’s about as heavy as an eyelash from your lower lid."

As far as changes I am experiencing, the most noticeable must be the sore mammaries (I am using this term to spare potential male family members that might be reading, any embarrasment) . Sleeping on my stomach is quite uncomfortable, and there is also a marked increase in size.
The other thing is, yes you guessed it: morning sickness! Yay. Actually I don't have much to complain about yet. Its more like a constant low level queasiness (thank god for spell checker).

Another interesting phenomenon is the tummy pointing. We were at a family gathering with the in-laws last night, and upon our departure, various aunties points at the tummy with words of wisdom. It was a strange experience to have people addressing my body parts.

I guess that's it for now. The next big occurance is the first scan on Monday. Its with a bit of trepidation that I face this. Firstly just to confirm that there is indeed a little spud growing in there. At this stage there is nothing showing and sometimes I wonder if the symptoms are imagined. Secondly, we will find out
 how many spuds there are. Because of the process we went through, there were multiple eggs which could mean multiple babies! But let's cross that bridge when we get to it.


Well that's it for now. I am sitting in a dodgy little hotel room in Piet Retief and inspiration is in short supply.


Nighty night!









No comments:

Post a Comment